10 best things to do this winter in Chicago
- MACY'S WINDOWS. Once the historical Marshall Fields, Macy's has continued the traditional holiday window displays, with beautiful décor that all ages can enjoy. This year's theme, The Magic of Christmas, takes a look at the State Street store's history. You'll feel all the nostalgia of Chicago Christmas as you enjoy the decorations (and make sure to check out the beautiful tree inside in the Walnut Room!).
- HOT CHOCOLATE RUN. Plan ahead for next year – this early November tradition is a great way to kick off winter in Chicago. The annual 5k/15k race through Grant Park culminates in delicious hot cocoa to celebrate your running success. The race also partners with The Ronald McDonald House Charities – what better way to start the holiday season than by giving back?
- A CHRISTMAS CAROL. This classic holiday tale is performed every year at the renowned Goodman Theatre. With Charles Dickens' timeless story, delightful songs, and even magic, this production is perfect for the whole family. No one will leave the theater feeling like a Scrooge after seeing this heart-warming show.
- ICE SKATING IN LINCOLN PARK ZOO. No winter is complete without some ice skating – no matter how many times you may fall down on the ice! This year, the Lincoln Park Zoo has built an ice skating rink to get you gliding right near your favorite animals. Make sure to check out the Zoo Lights after you’ve hungup your skates for the day for some true wintertime magic.
- MUSEUM OF SCIENCE AND INDUSTRY: CHRISTMAS AROUND THE WORLD. The tree displays are breathtaking, but what's even more impressive is that all the trees are decorated by volunteers from Chicago's various ethnic communities to represent their own cultures and traditions. It's truly a winter wonderland that you can experience without freezing outside!
- CHRISTKINDLMARKET CHICAGO. The outdoor German holiday market is one of the most popular Chicago winter traditions.It's the perfect place to buy unique holiday gifts, find a new ornament, or just enjoy a Köstritzer beer and schnitzel. This year, for the first time, the Christkind (the fairy who is the namesake of the market) will be at the market to greet visitors and partake in the holiday cheer!
- HOLIDAY TEA AT THE ATWOOD CAFÉ. Getting dressed up and enjoying delicious tea, scones and sandwiches during the holidays always feels festive. The Atwood Café offers afternoon high tea service all throughout December. Go ahead – imagine you're in 19th century Paris.
- NEW YEAR’S EVE AT IMPROVOLYMPIC. No idea how to ring in 2014? How about tickling your funny bone? The famous Chicago comedy house, ImprovOlympic, has special shows planned for New Year's Eve, complete with party packages to celebrate all night long. It's a great way to enjoy some of Chicago's finest comedy and start off 2014 in a truly special way.
- CLASSIC HOLIDAY MOVIES AT THE MUSIC BOX. Watching your favorite holiday films on the big screen at the historic Music Box Theatre is a Chicago tradition not to be missed. This year, you can catch White Christmas and It's a Wonderful Life…and what could be more heart-warming than George Bailey celebrating Christmas with his family and hearing an angel get his wings?
- ENJOY EATALY. Brrr, it's cold outside! So why not get lost in an indoor market where you can feast the day away? This November, Chicago welcomed Eataly to the neighborhood. Its two massive floors are filled with various restaurants and counters to enjoy specialty Italian foods, from cheese to hand-cut meat to freshly brewed beer. If you can't have Christmas in Italy, well, this may just be the next best thing.
Ted Guarnero, REALTOR® is a full-time real estate agent with over 1000 homes sold and $400 million in sales. Working with Compass real estate offering professional and effective real estate services to help you succeed in the local real estate market. Visit www.seeChicagorealestate.com for information on downtown Chicago real estate and to get in touch with an expert in the Chicago real estate market. Before you hire your next Realtor call Ted Guarnero 855-See-Chicago, it's on the House !